Attention teens! Is it possible to accomplish anything you set your mind to? Yes! But life has a way of throwing curveballs. Even so, research shows that those who succeed have a plan and an advocate. Here are 7 steps to achieving your goals:
1. FOCUS: Identify the long-term goal or aspiration.
2. PURPOSE: Determine small, achievable steps that can be completed weekly, and monthly for next 3 to 6 months. The more specific, the better.
3. SUPPORT: Find an advocate who will be a mentor or friend–someone to whom you are accountable to. Check in with them daily or weekly.
4. INSPIRATION: Enlist supporters who know what you going for and can cheer you on.
5. ASPIRE: Set mini-rewards long the way.
6. COMMITMENT: If you fail to meet short term goals, re-evaluate. Was the goal achievable given the tasks, timing and other demands?
- If the goal was not achievable, break down steps even further, and reset your goal.
- If the goal was achievable, what will you give up or commit to for not meeting your goal?
7. SUCCESS: Acknowledge and reward. Track the small steps. This helps to pave the way for the end goal AND you’ve had a mini-cheering squad all along: your parent or advocate and a bunch of friends and supporters witnessing your journey. That’s enough for a small party!
Teens: Get your parents or mentors on board with the HAP*Y PACT. You follow through on your goals; they follow through on rewards. Win-Win!